I have set up a video streaming server 1 year ago. And 1 year later, I again need to set up one for a demo project, but which could also be used later for my hyp. I remember 1 year ago I took quite a long time to find the pieces to fit together.
There are a few steps to get things going:
- Install ActivePerl
- Install Darwin Streaming Server (DSS)
- Start DSS service if not already started - this will run the streaming server.
You can either start the windows service or run DarwinStreamingServer.exe.
- Run streamingserveradmin.pl - this is to start the web admin for configuration.
- Go to http://localhost:1220/ to configure your streaming server
- At this point of time, you may stream video. Test it out with http://localhost:554/sample_50kbit.3gp. The video files are under this folder:
C:\Program Files\Darwin Streaming Server\Movies\
- You will probably experience this with your .3gp videos created with ffmpeg. The .3gp videos could not be streamed. This is because the video files need to be “hint”.
- Download MP4Box
- MP4Box.exe -hint -3gp myvideo.3gp
- Move the hinted copy to the Movies folder. It should work now.